Monday, February 2, 2009

Campbell's Soup Trip - part #2



OK, I see that the video I uploaded still hasn't processed. I can't even count how many times I tried to load this thing. Ugh. OK, let's try this again.....



I liked his tips on "skimming the scum" and blanching the noodles beforehand. I'd never thought to do that with the noodles!

Did you guys know that Campbell's also owns Pepperidge Farm (YUM!), Prego pasta sauce, Pace picante sauce, and Swanson's broth? I had no idea. As Stacy Debroff from Mom Central said, "If you are what you eat, I'm a good part Campbell's!"

We were privileged to be the voice of moms everywhere and the people from Campbell's took a lot of time to listen to us. They know what dinner time is like and they're committed to finding solutions.



They showed us these pictures that women had drawn when asked the question, "What's dinnertime like at your house?" LOL! How often does it happen that you look at the clock, realize it's already 4:00 and you have no clue what you're going to do for dinner? :::raising hand::: I go in spurts. For a while I'll be really good and pull something out of the freezer the night before and know what I'm going to make. Then, I'll go for a while doing the whole "it's 5:00 and everyone's hungry and asking me what's for dinner and I have no clue! McDonald's?"

Campbell's has tried to help moms around the world with the dinnertime dilemma. Think of how many Campbell's cookbooks are out there with quick and simple recipes. There are TONS of them full of recipes where you take half a dozen ingredients, mix it up, cook it and voila - a nice dinner is served.

But they haven't stopped there because we not only want quick and easy solutions, but we want our dinners to be healthy as well. Now Campbell's offers more than 85 reduced and lower sodium soups. They also have 124 soups with no MSG if that's an ingredient that bothers you. All of their Healthy Request soups and kids soups meet the government's criteria for "healthy" foods. The kids soups contain 110 calories or less, 3g of fat or less, 0g trans fat, 480mg sodium, are a good source of vitamin A, and have no MSG and no artificial preservatives or flavors.



We were able to do a blind taste test of some of these kids soups (chicken and stars & princess shapes). We tasted the original soup and the lower sodium variety. I got one right and one wrong. It was really hard to tell the difference. I don't know how they kept the flavor so good without artificial ingredients or MSG, but they did, and kids will love the taste while you love the lower sodium content.

In addition to the lower sodium content, they've added whole grain pasta to many soups and they've reformulated several Pepperidge Farm items as well. You can now get whole grain goldfish without artificial colors and flavors too, for example. I was impressed with the variety of healthier options offered.

I'll leave you with a simple slow-cooker recipe that's super-quick and easy to prepare and tastes yummy!

BEEF TACO CASSEROLE

prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 7 to 8 hours


2 pounds ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Creamy Tomato Ranchero Soup
1/2 cup water
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
8 corn tortillas (6-inch) cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese ( 4 ounces)
3 green onions, chopped
sour cream

COOK beef in 2 batches in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to separate meat. Pour off fat.

MIX beef, soup, water, tomatoes, and tortillas in 3 1/2 - 5 quart slow cooker.

COVER and cook on LOW 7 - 8 hours*. Stir in cheese. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve with sour cream.

* or on high for 4 to 5 hours

Serve with a crisp, green salad topped with Pace Picante sauce, and cornbread for a complete meal the whole family will love!

Stop back in later this week for information on V-Fusion!!!

4 comments:

Martha said...

I have been in the it's 5pm rut and have not clue what is for dinner for almost one month now... I NEED to get out of it and start cooking again. Thank goodness for some of the healthy frozen dinners.... I'm going to try the beef taco casserole. Thanks for sharing. Mmmm good!

Anonymous said...

I found the taco caserole years ago, my kids LOVE it. When I am to lazy (usually to lazy to go shopping) I've used fritos or Dorito's rather than tortillas. I've also tossed in a can of beans for added protein..since I am putting junk food in dinner it helps my conscience some.

Heather said...

What is this Creamy Tomato Ranchero Soup you speak of? I googled and it *appears* to be a discontinued item but I live far from the american southwest. Is this sold in other regions? What should we add to a standard can of tomato for this recipe?

Dawn said...

Heather, I'm sorry about that!
Try using tomato soup and a couple tablespoons of Pace Picante sauce in place of the tomato ranchero soup.